The Detroit Lions are First NFL Team to Join With REPREVE®
For Release: 8/4/2014
DETROIT, MICH. --The Detroit Lions announce Unifi, Inc.’s (NYSE:UFI) REPREVE® recycled fiber brand as the team’s new official sustainability partner. This collaboration makes the Lions the first NFL team to join REPREVE’s #TurnItGreen movement. REPREVE is made from recycled materials, including plastic bottles, and helps make products eco-friendly. The #TurnItGreen initiative supports stadium-based recycling efforts and a consumer education campaign to “Make the Smart Throw,” encouraging fans to toss their bottles into recycling bins instead of trash cans.
Unifi, the makers of REPREVE, is headquartered in Greensboro, N.C. The Company transforms plastic bottles into REPREVE recycled fibers that are used by many well-known brands, including Ford, Haggar, Polartec, Quiksilver and Volcom. On Wednesday, Aug. 6, the Lions and REPREVE will kick off #TurnItGreen efforts with a training camp takeover at Ford Field. During practice, the Lions quarterbacks will forgo the traditional red jerseys for REPREVE green jerseys, each made from 21 recycled plastic bottles. Attending fans will receive REPREVE-based #TurnItGreen fan towels made from three recycled bottles along with other REPREVE-based items, including t-shirts and autograph cards (quantities are limited).
“This initiative is a reflection of the Ford family’s commitment to leading in the area of sustainability,” said Detroit Lions Team President Tom Lewand. “As an example, through our partnership with REPREVE, we will be expanding to 500 recycling bins throughout Ford Field, making it easy for fans and guests to ‘Make the Smart Throw.’ This collaboration with Unifi and REPREVE will also serve as a platform to educate fans about the quality products that can be made from recycled materials, which will help keep plastic bottles from ending up in landfills.”
REPREVE and the Lions are calling on fans to help the team reach its target 100 percent recycling rate throughout the 2014 season. Achieving this feat will lead to direct benefits for students at the Detroit Lions Academy, who will be awarded with new REPREVE clothing.
“Recycling is critical, yet surprisingly only 30 percent of plastic bottles are recycled in the U.S., significantly less than other countries,” explained Roger Berrier, President and Chief Operating Officer of Unifi, Inc. “Together with the Detroit Lions, we are working to highlight the ease of in-stadium recycling and showcase the benefits of recycling. Hopefully franchises from all major sports will follow the Lions’ lead and join the #TurnItGreen movement.”
In addition to the REPREVE #TurnItGreen training camp takeover on Aug. 6, the collaboration will include in-stadium activation elements encouraging fans to “Make the Smart Throw.” Throughout the season, there will be a series of #TurnItGreen promotions starting with “Play Catch with the Quarterback,” where fans will have the opportunity to toss the football with Lions quarterbacks prior to the Aug. 6 practice.
For more information on REPREVE, please visit www.REPREVE.com, or visit the REPREVE Facebook page www.facebook.com/REPREVE. To learn more about the Lions partnership with REPREVE, please visit www.detroitlions.com/turnitgreen.html.
About REPREVE: REPREVE® is Unifi, Inc.’s (NYSE: UFI) flagship brand of recycled fibers, made from recycled materials, including plastic bottles. REPREVE can be found in products ranging from apparel and hosiery to automotive and industrial applications, and is used by some of the world’s leading brands, including Patagonia, Haggar, Quiksilver and Ford. REPREVE’s #TurnItGreen initiative is designed to encourage recycling and raise awareness among consumers that recycled bottles can be turned into cool products they use every day. For more information about REPREVE, visit www.REPREVE.com; like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter and Instagram.
REPREVE and #TurnItGreen are trademarks of Unifi, Inc.
About Unifi: Unifi, Inc. is a multi-national manufacturing company that produces and sells textured and other processed yarns designed to meet customer specifications, and premier value-added (“PVA”) yarns with enhanced performance characteristics. Unifi maintains one of the textile industry’s most comprehensive polyester and nylon product offerings. Unifi enhances demand for its products, and helps others in creating a more effective textile industry supply chain, through the development and introduction of branded yarns that provide unique performance, comfort and aesthetic advantages. In addition to its flagship REPREVE® products – a family of eco-friendly yarns made from recycled materials – key Unifi brands include: SORBTEK®, REFLEXX®, AIO® – all-in-one performance yarns, SATURA®, AUGUSTA®, A.M.Y.®, MYNX® UV and MICROVISTA®. Unifi's yarns are readily found in the products of major brands in the apparel, hosiery, automotive, home furnishings, industrial and other end-use markets. For more information about Unifi, visit www.unifi.com; to learn more about REPREVE®, visit www.REPREVE.com.
About The Detroit Lions: The Detroit Lions is a professional American football team based in Detroit, Michigan. They are members of the North Division of the National Football Conference (NFC) in the National Football League (NFL), and play their home games at Ford Field in downtown Detroit. The team relocated to Detroit in 1934 and are the National Football League's fifth oldest franchise. The Detroit Lions finished the 2011 regular season with a 10-6 record and earned a berth in the NFL playoffs. In addition to professional football, the Detroit Lions have a very visible and active community relations role in the Detroit area. With a focus on health and wellness and community revitalization, the Lions have contributed $7.2 million through philanthropic efforts since 1991. For more information, visit www.DetroitLions.com.
The Detroit Lions Academy offers students an opportunity to learn and achieve in a structured caring and safe, learning environment that can address their individual learning needs. Students, in grades 6-8, attend the school due to previous challenges in traditional educational settings and receive additional social-emotional support due to challenges that have impeded their progress.
Unifi, Inc. (NYSE: UFI) is a diversified producer and processor of multi-filament polyester and nylon textured yarns and related raw materials. The Company adds value to the supply chain and enhances consumer demand for its products through the development and introduction of branded yarns that provide unique performance, comfort and aesthetic advantages. Key Unifi brands include, but are not limited to: AIO® - all-in-one performance yarns, SORBTEK®, A.M.Y.®, MYNX® UV, REPREVE®, REFLEXX®, MICROVISTA® and SATURA®. Unifi's yarns and brands are readily found in home furnishings, apparel, legwear, and sewing thread, as well as industrial, automotive, military, and medical applications. For more information about Unifi, visit www.unifi.com, or to learn more about REPREVE®, visit www.repreve.com.
Download This Release
- Unifi Receives Letter of No Objection From Food And Drug Administration to Produce REPREVE® Recycled Bottle Flake for Food-Grade Packaging
- Repreve Teams with Professional Sport Franchises to Launch Once-in-a-lifetime Experience
- Unifi, Inc., Brings Home Gold at World Textile Awards
- Vietnam is the Latest Global Expansion for Unifi’s REPREVE®
- Enhanced Performance and Earth-Friendly – You Can Have It Both Ways
Unifi Textiles (Suzhou) Co., Ltd. Offers the Industry Recycled Performance Options
- Unifi Celebrates Grand Opening of REPREVE Bottle Processing Center
- Army Veteran Teams Up with REPREVE® to Bring American Flags Back to the United States
- Unifi Expands Global Reach of Premier Value-Added Products to Sri Lanka
- College Graduates Likely to Trash More Than 2 Billion Plastic Bottles Over the Next Decade
Textile Company Aims to Decrease Number by Bringing Recycling Story to Life
- Unifi Announces Election of Paul R. Charron as a Director
- REPREVE® Kicks off National, Multi-Stop #TurnItGreen Tour
Tour showcases how recycled plastic bottles can be transformed into REPREVE-based products, with stops at elementary schools, major sporting events, college campuses and retail locations
- Unifi Expands REPREVE Global Availability and Product Offerings
Unifi Textiles (Suzhou) Co., Ltd. (UTSC) will manage new distribution channels out of Suzhou, P.R. China
- The University of North Carolina Football Program Goes Green with REPREVE®
- DETROIT LIONS TEAM UP WITH REPREVE® FOR SECOND YEAR
- Unifi Celebrates Expansion of State-of-the-Art REPREVE® Recycling Center
- REPREVE® Transforms Nearly 60 Million Recycled Plastic Bottles into Graduation Caps and Gowns
- Unifi Expands Polyester Texturing Capacity to Support Regional Growth
- The Detroit Lions and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Athletics Join REPREVE® #TurnItGreen™ Week
- REPREVE® and Marvel Universe LIVE! Kick Off National Youth Recycling Campaign
- The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Joins the REPREVE® #TurnItGreen Campaign
- Unifi Textiles (Suzhou) Co., Ltd. (UTSC) Highlights SORBTEK® Staple
- Quiksilver Expands REPREVE® Product Line
- The Detroit Lions are First NFL Team to Join With REPREVE®
- REPREVE® Recycling Center Expands Due to New Customer Adoptions
- Unifi Purchases Additional Texturing Assets
- Unifi and Palmetto Synthetics, LLC Establish a Manufacturing and Distribution Agreement for REPREVE®: REPREVE® Staple Fiber NAFTA and Berry Amendment Compliant
- SCS Global Services Certifies Unifi’s Repreve® Recycled Polyester Yarn and PET Resins as “Responsible Source” Products
- Unifi’s REPREVE® Brand is First-Time Sponsor of X Games Aspen, Elena Hight Teams Up with REPREVE to Promote a Greener Lifestyle
- America Recycles Day Survey Says: Americans Feel They're Not Doing Enough for the Environment
- Within Its First Year, 14 Million Plastic Bottles Recycled into Haggar Clothing Co.'s LK Life Khaki™ Brand Made with REPREVE®
- Unifi Takes Active Role in Sustaining Manufacturing in the Americas- Congress Passes Correction to Free Trade Legislation
- Polartec®, Norrøna Partner with REPREVE® to Create First-of-its-Kind 100-Percent Recycled Garment
- Lauren Conrad launches her Blue Avocado XO(eco) collection made with REPREVE
- From Waste to Wow! Repreve® Featured in Swimwear from Eco Swim™ by Aqua Green™
- Industry Leaders Come Together to Initiate a Closed Loop Program
- Fusion Customers to Support Eco-Charities, Help Ford through REPREVE Save 2 Million Plastic Bottles from Landfills
- Spring Commencements Go Green Giving New Life to Nearly Seven Million Bottles
- Unifi partners with Greensboro Children's Museum on 'Larger Than Life' Exhibit
- Ford, REPREVE to Recycle 2 Million Plastic Bottles Back into the New 2012 Focus Electric and Other Vehicles
- Ford Chooses REPREVE Branded Fiber for Seat Fabric in 2012 Ford Focus Electric
- Seat Fabric in All-New Ford Focus Electric Uses Waste To Create a Better World
- Unifi Hosts Senator Richard Burr and Congressman Brad Miller
- Unifi Launches the REPREVE® Textile Takeback Program- Polartec to team up with Unifi in a first of its kind recycling program
- SustainU Launches 100 Percent Recycled Clothing Line for Boy Scouts
- Unifi and REPREVE® Award Grants to Four Keep America Beautiful Affiliates
- Valley Forge Fabrics, one of the many brands recognized at Unifi’s REPREVE® Recycling center ribbon cutting
- Unifi Celebrates the Grand Opening of its REPREVE® Recycling Center
- Unifi Celebrates 40th Anniversary with Dedication to Founder Allen Mebane
- Ribbon Cutting Marks the Opening of Unifi Central America
- Unifi Textiles (Suzhou) Co., Ltd. Expands Sustainable Product Line with Introduction of REPREVE® Recycled Fully Drawn Filament Polyester
- Haggar Chooses Unifi’s REPREVE® Recycled Fiber for “Green” Line of Pants
- SunBelt Biofuels Business acquired by REPREVE Renewables
- Unifi Expands Commitment to Sustainability
- REPREVE Helps Designers Design a Better World
- Unifi Celebrates 40th Anniversary of Earth Day through Education
- Rest Assured with Bekaert Textile’s New Collection Made with REPREVE®
- Polartec, LLC and Unifi Announce Partnership
- Unifi Continues to Grow Globally
- Unifi Featured on CNBC’s Sustainability Series -People, Planet & Profit
- REPREVE® and BlueAvocado Join Forces to Educate Consumers on "What's Out, Is In"
- Unifi Chosen for Travel Channel’s “Extreme Mega Factories” Television Segment
- INVISTA’s CORDURA® Brand Team Unveils New Sustainable Fabric
- The REPREVE® Recycled Fiber Family Just Keeps Growing: REPREVE® now available with 100% Post-Consumer PET Bottles
- Sun-Drop Race Team Apparel Goes Green with REPREVE® Recycled Fiber from Unifi
- Unifi Introduces First Recycled Polyester Fiber with Inherent Flame Retardant Technology: Momentum Textiles Selects Unifi's New Repreve® FR for Contract Line
- Unifi Expands the REPREVE® Product Offering with the Introduction of REPREVE® Polyester Staple Fiber: 100% Recycled Polyester Staple Fiber is the Newest Addition to the REPREVE® Family
- Unifi Announces Online Fabric Certification for Branded Products
- Television Series "How It's Made" to Feature Unifi's REPREVE® Yarn in January 2009: First Airing Dates Announced
- The HON Company Introduces REPREVE® Recycled Yarns to its Seating Fabrics: The Use of New 100-Percent Recycled Polyester Yarns Fits Comfortably, and Fashionably, into HON's Ongoing Environmental Journey
- Unifi's 100% Recycled REPREVE® Nylon 6,6 Now Available in China
- Unifi Launches Repreve.com: New Eco-Focused Site Engages Consumers in Recycled Product, Supporting the Environment
- Unifi's REPREVE® 100% Recycled Yarn Now Available in Nylon 6,6: Leading Synthetic Yarn Producer to Launch Recycled Nylon Product at Outdoor Retailer Show
- Unifi's REPREVE® Yarn Selected for the Television Series "How It's Made": First U.S. Textile Mill to Appear on Show