Unifi Takes Active Role in Sustaining Manufacturing in the Americas- Congress Passes Correction to Free Trade Legislation
For Release: 10/9/2012
GREENSBORO, N.C. --After working diligently with government trade officials for the past five years, Unifi, Inc. (NYSE: UFI) and U.S. trade representatives announce today legislation providing a technical correction to the sewing thread provision in the United States-Dominican Republic-Central America Free Trade Agreement (DR-CAFTA). The bill was passed in Congress on August 3, 2012, and will take effect on October 13, 2012.
The amended legislation will close a loophole that allowed for the use of non-originating sewing thread in the assembly of textiles and apparel under the DR-CAFTA. The technical modification clarifies that certain single ply synthetic sewing thread is required to be produced in the United States or the CAFTA-DR region in order for goods to qualify for preferential tariff treatment. All other sewing threads (cotton and acrylic, for example) already enjoyed the benefits of yarn forward rules of origin under the free trade agreement.
The bill is significant to Unifi and others U.S. textile manufacturers because it will encourage greater use of U.S. inputs in the DR-CAFTA countries. According to the National Council of Textile Organizations (NCTO), the U.S. textile industry, from textile fibers to apparel, employed 506,000 workers in 2011. North Carolina alone employed 43,000.
“Yarn forward rules of origin are crucial in free trade agreements so that the benefits go to U.S. workers and our trading partners in the region of the agreement,” said Bill Jasper, chairman and CEO for Unifi. “Thread manufacturers in the Americas lost business to Asian producers because of this oversight.”
Jasper added, “A significant portion of garment value comes from innovation in the textile inputs, such as the fiber, yarn and fabric formation. Unifi has made significant investments in our U.S.-based manufacturing facilities to develop and produce innovative, value added products such as our recycled Repreve® yarn. This technical correction provides an additional incentive for the Company to continue to bring new products to the market that help create a stronger and more sustainable supply chain in the Americas.”
REPREVE is a registered trademark of Unifi, Inc.
Unifi, Inc. (NYSE: UFI) is a diversified producer and processor of multi-filament polyester and nylon textured yarns and related raw materials. The Company adds value to the supply chain and enhances consumer demand for its products through the development and introduction of branded yarns that provide unique performance, comfort and aesthetic advantages. Key Unifi brands include, but are not limited to: AIO® - all-in-one performance yarns, SORBTEK®, A.M.Y.®, MYNX® UV, REPREVE®, REFLEXX®, MICROVISTA® and SATURA®. Unifi's yarns and brands are readily found in home furnishings, apparel, legwear, and sewing thread, as well as industrial, automotive, military, and medical applications. For more information about Unifi, visit www.Unifi.com, or to learn more about REPREVE®, visit www.Repreve.com.
Download This Release
- Unifi Takes Active Role in Sustaining Manufacturing in the Americas- Congress Passes Correction to Free Trade Legislation
- Fusion Customers to Support Eco-Charities, Help Ford through REPREVE Save 2 Million Plastic Bottles from Landfills
- Spring Commencements Go Green Giving New Life to Nearly Seven Million Bottles
- Unifi partners with Greensboro Children's Museum on 'Larger Than Life' Exhibit
- Ford, REPREVE to Recycle 2 Million Plastic Bottles Back into the New 2012 Focus Electric and Other Vehicles
- Seat Fabric in All-New Ford Focus Electric Uses Waste To Create a Better World
- Unifi Hosts Senator Richard Burr and Congressman Brad Miller
- Unifi Launches the REPREVE® Textile Takeback Program- Polartec to team up with Unifi in a first of its kind recycling program
- Unifi Celebrates the Grand Opening of its REPREVE® Recycling Center
- Unifi Celebrates 40th Anniversary with Dedication to Founder Allen Mebane
- Ribbon Cutting Marks the Opening of Unifi Central America
- Unifi Textiles (Suzhou) Co., Ltd. Expands Sustainable Product Line with Introduction of REPREVE® Recycled Fully Drawn Filament Polyester
- Haggar Chooses Unifi’s REPREVE® Recycled Fiber for “Green” Line of Pants
- SunBelt Biofuels Business acquired by REPREVE Renewables
- Unifi Expands Commitment to Sustainability
- REPREVE Helps Designers Design a Better World
- Unifi Celebrates 40th Anniversary of Earth Day through Education
- Rest Assured with Bekaert Textile’s New Collection Made with REPREVE®
- Polartec, LLC and Unifi Announce Partnership
- Unifi Continues to Grow Globally
- Unifi Featured on CNBC’s Sustainability Series -People, Planet & Profit
- REPREVE® and BlueAvocado Join Forces to Educate Consumers on "What's Out, Is In"
- Unifi Chosen for Travel Channel’s “Extreme Mega Factories” Television Segment
- INVISTA’s CORDURA® Brand Team Unveils New Sustainable Fabric
- The REPREVE® Recycled Fiber Family Just Keeps Growing: REPREVE® now available with 100% Post-Consumer PET Bottles
- Sun-Drop Race Team Apparel Goes Green with REPREVE® Recycled Fiber from Unifi
- Unifi Introduces First Recycled Polyester Fiber with Inherent Flame Retardant Technology: Momentum Textiles Selects Unifi's New Repreve® FR for Contract Line
- Unifi Expands the REPREVE® Product Offering with the Introduction of REPREVE® Polyester Staple Fiber: 100% Recycled Polyester Staple Fiber is the Newest Addition to the REPREVE® Family
- Unifi Announces Online Fabric Certification for Branded Products
- Television Series "How It's Made" to Feature Unifi's REPREVE® Yarn in January 2009: First Airing Dates Announced
- The HON Company Introduces REPREVE® Recycled Yarns to its Seating Fabrics: The Use of New 100-Percent Recycled Polyester Yarns Fits Comfortably, and Fashionably, into HON's Ongoing Environmental Journey
- Unifi's 100% Recycled REPREVE® Nylon 6,6 Now Available in China
- Unifi Launches Repreve.com: New Eco-Focused Site Engages Consumers in Recycled Product, Supporting the Environment
- Unifi's REPREVE® 100% Recycled Yarn Now Available in Nylon 6,6: Leading Synthetic Yarn Producer to Launch Recycled Nylon Product at Outdoor Retailer Show
- Unifi's REPREVE® Yarn Selected for the Television Series "How It's Made": First U.S. Textile Mill to Appear on Show