Fusion Customers to Support Eco-Charities, Help Ford through REPREVE Save 2 Million Plastic Bottles from Landfills
For Release: 5/3/2012
Dearborn, MI --Customers who buy the new 2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid, Fusion Energi plug-in hybrid or Focus Electric can automatically give back to eco-charities while helping save fuel and landfill-destined plastic water bottles.
Through the REPREVE® Gives Back program, a portion of REPREVE sales are donated to one of four environmental nonprofit organizations. The charitable program is offered by Unifi Inc. (NYSE: UFI), supplier of the REPREVE-branded recycled fiber being used in the seat fabric of the new Fusion hybrids and 2012 Focus Electric.
“REPREVE Gives Back is a natural fit for Fusion hybrid customers who already are contributing to a better world by saving fuel while driving and keeping water bottles from landfills,” said Carol Kordich, Ford’s lead designer of sustainable materials. “Ford is committed to delivering vehicles with leading fuel efficiency while targeting at least 25 percent recycled content in seat fabric across our lineup.”
The four environmental nonprofits that customers can designate are:
• Keep America Beautiful – creates a cleaner, greener America, from national parks to community gardens and everywhere in between
• Conservation Alliance – protects North America’s last wild places by supporting conservation work at the local level
• American Rivers – protects and restores America’s rivers and the full variety of life they sustain
• Rocky Mountain Institute – an organization working to accelerate the profitable transition from fossil fuels to efficiency and renewables
Through the REPREVE Gives Back program, Ford customers and supporters can help determine how the funds will be distributed among the four nonprofits. To vote, customers must “like” REPREVE on Facebook and click the “Gives Back” tab to get a passcode. At www.repreve.com, customers can vote for their favorite environmental cause and learn more about the authentic recycled fiber of choice, REPREVE.
“We are excited to continue to work with Ford on integrating the REPREVE product into new vehicles, like the Fusion. It is important to align with companies that share the same vision and strategy around recycling. A core part of the REPREVE brand is generating awareness around the importance of recycling, helping to increase the U.S. recycling rates and giving back through our REPREVE Gives Back program,” said Roger Berrier, president and COO of Unifi. “Unifi’s REPREVE Gives Back program helps to create the consumer connection between recycling and environmental sustainability.”
REPREVE is made from a hybrid blend of post-industrial and post-consumer waste. Each Focus Electric seating interior contains the equivalent of about 22 recycled plastic bottles made of PET (polyethylene terephthalate) – the technical name of the plastic of which the bottles are made – while Fusion hybrids feature nearly 42.
In addition to recycling waste that otherwise could have ended up in landfills, REPREVE reduces energy consumption by offsetting the need to use newly refined crude oil. REPREVE fiber meets all Ford design and comfort requirements to help ensure the Fusion hybrids and Focus Electric meet the company’s high performance standards.
Unifi and Ford also are working together to set up plastic bottle collection points within Ford facilities in Michigan and California – bottles that could be part of the more than 2 million plastic bottles that will be recycled into REPREVE for fabrics in the Fusion and Focus Electric in their first model years.
Eco-conscious solutions Ford’s “reduce, reuse and recycle” commitment is part of the company’s broader global sustainability strategy to reduce its environmental footprint while at the same time accelerating the development of advanced, fuel-efficient vehicle technologies around the world.
Over the past several years, Ford has concentrated on increasing the use of nonmetal recycled and bio-based materials whenever possible, provided these materials are environmentally favorable in the specific application. Examples include soy foam seat cushions and head restraints, wheat straw-filled plastic, castor oil foam in instrument panels, recycled resins for underbody systems, recycled yarns on seat covers and natural-fiber plastic for interior components.
In addition to Ford, REPREVE can be found throughout many products made by some of the leading brands and retailers, including Polartec, Life Khaki, The North Face, Patagonia and Blue Avocado. Learn more at www.repreve.com and follow REPREVE on Facebook.
# # #
About Ford Motor Company
Ford Motor Company, a global automotive industry leader based in Dearborn, Mich., manufactures or distributes automobiles across six continents. With about 166,000 employees and about 70 plants worldwide, the company’s automotive brands include Ford and Lincoln. The company provides financial services through Ford Motor Credit Company. For more information regarding Ford and its products worldwide, please visit http://corporate.ford.com.
REPREVE is a registered trademark of Unifi, Inc.
Unifi, Inc. (NYSE: UFI) is a diversified producer and processor of multi-filament polyester and nylon textured yarns and related raw materials. The Company adds value to the supply chain and enhances consumer demand for its products through the development and introduction of branded yarns that provide unique performance, comfort and aesthetic advantages. Key Unifi brands include, but are not limited to: AIO® - all-in-one performance yarns, SORBTEK®, A.M.Y.®, MYNX® UV, REPREVE®, REFLEXX®, MICROVISTA® and SATURA®. Unifi's yarns and brands are readily found in home furnishings, apparel, legwear, and sewing thread, as well as industrial, automotive, military, and medical applications. For more information about Unifi, visit www.unifi.com, or to learn more about REPREVE®, visit www.repreve.com.
Download This Release
- Unifi Receives Letter of No Objection From Food And Drug Administration to Produce REPREVE® Recycled Bottle Flake for Food-Grade Packaging
- Repreve Teams with Professional Sport Franchises to Launch Once-in-a-lifetime Experience
- Unifi, Inc., Brings Home Gold at World Textile Awards
- Vietnam is the Latest Global Expansion for Unifi’s REPREVE®
- Enhanced Performance and Earth-Friendly – You Can Have It Both Ways
Unifi Textiles (Suzhou) Co., Ltd. Offers the Industry Recycled Performance Options
- Unifi Celebrates Grand Opening of REPREVE Bottle Processing Center
- Army Veteran Teams Up with REPREVE® to Bring American Flags Back to the United States
- Unifi Expands Global Reach of Premier Value-Added Products to Sri Lanka
- College Graduates Likely to Trash More Than 2 Billion Plastic Bottles Over the Next Decade
Textile Company Aims to Decrease Number by Bringing Recycling Story to Life
- Unifi Announces Election of Paul R. Charron as a Director
- REPREVE® Kicks off National, Multi-Stop #TurnItGreen Tour
Tour showcases how recycled plastic bottles can be transformed into REPREVE-based products, with stops at elementary schools, major sporting events, college campuses and retail locations
- Unifi Expands REPREVE Global Availability and Product Offerings
Unifi Textiles (Suzhou) Co., Ltd. (UTSC) will manage new distribution channels out of Suzhou, P.R. China
- The University of North Carolina Football Program Goes Green with REPREVE®
- DETROIT LIONS TEAM UP WITH REPREVE® FOR SECOND YEAR
- Unifi Celebrates Expansion of State-of-the-Art REPREVE® Recycling Center
- REPREVE® Transforms Nearly 60 Million Recycled Plastic Bottles into Graduation Caps and Gowns
- Unifi Expands Polyester Texturing Capacity to Support Regional Growth
- The Detroit Lions and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Athletics Join REPREVE® #TurnItGreen™ Week
- REPREVE® and Marvel Universe LIVE! Kick Off National Youth Recycling Campaign
- The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Joins the REPREVE® #TurnItGreen Campaign
- Unifi Textiles (Suzhou) Co., Ltd. (UTSC) Highlights SORBTEK® Staple
- Quiksilver Expands REPREVE® Product Line
- The Detroit Lions are First NFL Team to Join With REPREVE®
- REPREVE® Recycling Center Expands Due to New Customer Adoptions
- Unifi Purchases Additional Texturing Assets
- Unifi and Palmetto Synthetics, LLC Establish a Manufacturing and Distribution Agreement for REPREVE®: REPREVE® Staple Fiber NAFTA and Berry Amendment Compliant
- SCS Global Services Certifies Unifi’s Repreve® Recycled Polyester Yarn and PET Resins as “Responsible Source” Products
- Unifi’s REPREVE® Brand is First-Time Sponsor of X Games Aspen, Elena Hight Teams Up with REPREVE to Promote a Greener Lifestyle
- America Recycles Day Survey Says: Americans Feel They're Not Doing Enough for the Environment
- Within Its First Year, 14 Million Plastic Bottles Recycled into Haggar Clothing Co.'s LK Life Khaki™ Brand Made with REPREVE®
- Unifi Takes Active Role in Sustaining Manufacturing in the Americas- Congress Passes Correction to Free Trade Legislation
- Polartec®, Norrøna Partner with REPREVE® to Create First-of-its-Kind 100-Percent Recycled Garment
- Lauren Conrad launches her Blue Avocado XO(eco) collection made with REPREVE
- From Waste to Wow! Repreve® Featured in Swimwear from Eco Swim™ by Aqua Green™
- Industry Leaders Come Together to Initiate a Closed Loop Program
- Fusion Customers to Support Eco-Charities, Help Ford through REPREVE Save 2 Million Plastic Bottles from Landfills
- Spring Commencements Go Green Giving New Life to Nearly Seven Million Bottles
- Unifi partners with Greensboro Children's Museum on 'Larger Than Life' Exhibit
- Ford, REPREVE to Recycle 2 Million Plastic Bottles Back into the New 2012 Focus Electric and Other Vehicles
- Ford Chooses REPREVE Branded Fiber for Seat Fabric in 2012 Ford Focus Electric
- Seat Fabric in All-New Ford Focus Electric Uses Waste To Create a Better World
- Unifi Hosts Senator Richard Burr and Congressman Brad Miller
- Unifi Launches the REPREVE® Textile Takeback Program- Polartec to team up with Unifi in a first of its kind recycling program
- SustainU Launches 100 Percent Recycled Clothing Line for Boy Scouts
- Unifi and REPREVE® Award Grants to Four Keep America Beautiful Affiliates
- Valley Forge Fabrics, one of the many brands recognized at Unifi’s REPREVE® Recycling center ribbon cutting
- Unifi Celebrates the Grand Opening of its REPREVE® Recycling Center
- Unifi Celebrates 40th Anniversary with Dedication to Founder Allen Mebane
- Ribbon Cutting Marks the Opening of Unifi Central America
- Unifi Textiles (Suzhou) Co., Ltd. Expands Sustainable Product Line with Introduction of REPREVE® Recycled Fully Drawn Filament Polyester
- Haggar Chooses Unifi’s REPREVE® Recycled Fiber for “Green” Line of Pants
- SunBelt Biofuels Business acquired by REPREVE Renewables
- Unifi Expands Commitment to Sustainability
- REPREVE Helps Designers Design a Better World
- Unifi Celebrates 40th Anniversary of Earth Day through Education
- Rest Assured with Bekaert Textile’s New Collection Made with REPREVE®
- Polartec, LLC and Unifi Announce Partnership
- Unifi Continues to Grow Globally
- Unifi Featured on CNBC’s Sustainability Series -People, Planet & Profit
- REPREVE® and BlueAvocado Join Forces to Educate Consumers on "What's Out, Is In"
- Unifi Chosen for Travel Channel’s “Extreme Mega Factories” Television Segment
- INVISTA’s CORDURA® Brand Team Unveils New Sustainable Fabric
- The REPREVE® Recycled Fiber Family Just Keeps Growing: REPREVE® now available with 100% Post-Consumer PET Bottles
- Sun-Drop Race Team Apparel Goes Green with REPREVE® Recycled Fiber from Unifi
- Unifi Introduces First Recycled Polyester Fiber with Inherent Flame Retardant Technology: Momentum Textiles Selects Unifi's New Repreve® FR for Contract Line
- Unifi Expands the REPREVE® Product Offering with the Introduction of REPREVE® Polyester Staple Fiber: 100% Recycled Polyester Staple Fiber is the Newest Addition to the REPREVE® Family
- Unifi Announces Online Fabric Certification for Branded Products
- Television Series "How It's Made" to Feature Unifi's REPREVE® Yarn in January 2009: First Airing Dates Announced
- The HON Company Introduces REPREVE® Recycled Yarns to its Seating Fabrics: The Use of New 100-Percent Recycled Polyester Yarns Fits Comfortably, and Fashionably, into HON's Ongoing Environmental Journey
- Unifi's 100% Recycled REPREVE® Nylon 6,6 Now Available in China
- Unifi Launches Repreve.com: New Eco-Focused Site Engages Consumers in Recycled Product, Supporting the Environment
- Unifi's REPREVE® 100% Recycled Yarn Now Available in Nylon 6,6: Leading Synthetic Yarn Producer to Launch Recycled Nylon Product at Outdoor Retailer Show
- Unifi's REPREVE® Yarn Selected for the Television Series "How It's Made": First U.S. Textile Mill to Appear on Show