Spring Commencements Go Green Giving New Life to Nearly Seven Million Bottles
For Release: 4/30/2012
Greensboro, NC --Herff Jones chooses REPREVE®, made by Unifi, Inc. (NYSE: UFI), to help make spring commencements greener. This year, students from colleges and universities can feel even better about their commencement ceremonies because they will be wearing REPREVE based graduation gowns.
More than 140 colleges and universities have chosen Renew Graduation caps and gowns made with REPREVE. Over 240,000 graduates will walk in Renew caps and gowns, including students from the University of Houston, University of Michigan, Syracuse University, Marquette University, Johns Hopkins University and Providence College.
REPREVE is an essential ingredient that makes REPREVE based fabrics sustainable. Made from recycled materials, including post-consumer plastic bottles, REPREVE helps to reduce the environmental impact of everyday life. Each Herff Jones graduation gown made with REPREVE uses about 29 post-consumer plastic bottles, collectively using nearly seven million post-consumer plastic water bottles this year.
"Recognizing that these gowns are a onetime use product, it was very important to make them from REPREVE, helping to reduce their overall environmental impact,” says Tom Carew, vice president and general manager of the Cap and Gown Division of Herff Jones. “Following commencement, through the Renew Gown Recycling Program, graduates can donate their gowns to be recycled back into REPREVE, helping to create a closed loop recycling process.”
“We are excited that Herff Jones selected our REPREVE product as part of their initiative to provide a sustainable product to universities and colleges,” said Roger Berrier, president and COO of Unifi. “In the United States less than 30 percent of all plastic bottles are recycled and it is our goal to educate people on how recycling and choosing products made with REPREVE can have a positive impact on the environment. These students are the future of this country and can start to encourage change in consumer behaviors for recycling.”
"We have been looking for a good, recycled gown option for some time," says Mireya Porter, divisional merchandise manager for the Syracuse University Bookstore. "The REPREVE based fabric option for gowns has really improved in the past few years, so we're happy that we’ve found a product that matches our needs."
REPREVE can be found throughout many products made by some of the leading brands and retailers, including Ford, Polartec, Haggar, The North Face, Patagonia, AllSteel, Hon and Blue Avocado. Learn more at www.repreve.com and follow us on Facebook.
Herff Jones also makes class rings, yearbooks, diplomas and educational resources with environmentally friendly materials like recycled gold and FCS certified wood. For more information on Herff Jones’ Environmental Commitment, please visit www.herffjonesbetterworld.com.
ABOUT HERFF JONES
Herff Jones works closely with customers to create a climate of achievement through graduation products, class rings and jewelry, yearbooks, educational publishing and motivation and recognition tools. The company provides guidance, support and high quality products to elementary schools, high schools, colleges and universities, church organizations, professional and collegiate sports teams and corporations. Founded nearly 100 years ago in Indianapolis, Indiana, Herff Jones is an employee-owned organization focused on building long-term relationships through a nationwide network of trusted, expert sales representatives. Additional information is available at www.herffjones.com.
REPREVE is a registered trademark of Unifi, Inc.
Unifi, Inc. (NYSE: UFI) is a diversified producer and processor of multi-filament polyester and nylon textured yarns and related raw materials. The Company adds value to the supply chain and enhances consumer demand for its products through the development and introduction of branded yarns that provide unique performance, comfort and aesthetic advantages. Key Unifi brands include, but are not limited to: AIO® - all-in-one performance yarns, SORBTEK®, A.M.Y.®, MYNX® UV, REPREVE®, REFLEXX®, MICROVISTA® and SATURA®. Unifi's yarns and brands are readily found in home furnishings, apparel, legwear, and sewing thread, as well as industrial, automotive, military, and medical applications. For more information about Unifi, visit www.Unifi.com, or to learn more about REPREVE®, visit www.Repreve.com.
Download This Release
- Unifi Takes Active Role in Sustaining Manufacturing in the Americas- Congress Passes Correction to Free Trade Legislation
- Fusion Customers to Support Eco-Charities, Help Ford through REPREVE Save 2 Million Plastic Bottles from Landfills
- Spring Commencements Go Green Giving New Life to Nearly Seven Million Bottles
- Unifi partners with Greensboro Children's Museum on 'Larger Than Life' Exhibit
- Ford, REPREVE to Recycle 2 Million Plastic Bottles Back into the New 2012 Focus Electric and Other Vehicles
- Seat Fabric in All-New Ford Focus Electric Uses Waste To Create a Better World
- Unifi Hosts Senator Richard Burr and Congressman Brad Miller
- Unifi Launches the REPREVE® Textile Takeback Program- Polartec to team up with Unifi in a first of its kind recycling program
- Unifi Celebrates the Grand Opening of its REPREVE® Recycling Center
- Unifi Celebrates 40th Anniversary with Dedication to Founder Allen Mebane
- Ribbon Cutting Marks the Opening of Unifi Central America
- Unifi Textiles (Suzhou) Co., Ltd. Expands Sustainable Product Line with Introduction of REPREVE® Recycled Fully Drawn Filament Polyester
- Haggar Chooses Unifi’s REPREVE® Recycled Fiber for “Green” Line of Pants
- SunBelt Biofuels Business acquired by REPREVE Renewables
- Unifi Expands Commitment to Sustainability
- REPREVE Helps Designers Design a Better World
- Unifi Celebrates 40th Anniversary of Earth Day through Education
- Rest Assured with Bekaert Textile’s New Collection Made with REPREVE®
- Polartec, LLC and Unifi Announce Partnership
- Unifi Continues to Grow Globally
- Unifi Featured on CNBC’s Sustainability Series -People, Planet & Profit
- REPREVE® and BlueAvocado Join Forces to Educate Consumers on "What's Out, Is In"
- Unifi Chosen for Travel Channel’s “Extreme Mega Factories” Television Segment
- INVISTA’s CORDURA® Brand Team Unveils New Sustainable Fabric
- The REPREVE® Recycled Fiber Family Just Keeps Growing: REPREVE® now available with 100% Post-Consumer PET Bottles
- Sun-Drop Race Team Apparel Goes Green with REPREVE® Recycled Fiber from Unifi
- Unifi Introduces First Recycled Polyester Fiber with Inherent Flame Retardant Technology: Momentum Textiles Selects Unifi's New Repreve® FR for Contract Line
- Unifi Expands the REPREVE® Product Offering with the Introduction of REPREVE® Polyester Staple Fiber: 100% Recycled Polyester Staple Fiber is the Newest Addition to the REPREVE® Family
- Unifi Announces Online Fabric Certification for Branded Products
- Television Series "How It's Made" to Feature Unifi's REPREVE® Yarn in January 2009: First Airing Dates Announced
- The HON Company Introduces REPREVE® Recycled Yarns to its Seating Fabrics: The Use of New 100-Percent Recycled Polyester Yarns Fits Comfortably, and Fashionably, into HON's Ongoing Environmental Journey
- Unifi's 100% Recycled REPREVE® Nylon 6,6 Now Available in China
- Unifi Launches Repreve.com: New Eco-Focused Site Engages Consumers in Recycled Product, Supporting the Environment
- Unifi's REPREVE® 100% Recycled Yarn Now Available in Nylon 6,6: Leading Synthetic Yarn Producer to Launch Recycled Nylon Product at Outdoor Retailer Show
- Unifi's REPREVE® Yarn Selected for the Television Series "How It's Made": First U.S. Textile Mill to Appear on Show