Seat Fabric in All-New Ford Focus Electric Uses Waste To Create a Better World
For Release: 11/17/2011
NEW YORK --• Ford is the first automaker to use REPREVE® branded fiber in the seat fabric for the all-new Focus Electric
• REPREVE is a polyester fiber made from a hybrid blend of recycled materials including used plastic water bottles and post-industrial waste
• Through the use of REPREVE, each all-new Ford Focus Electric keeps 22 plastic bottles out of landfills
NEW YORK, Nov. 17, 2011 – Sitting on empty plastic bottles while driving or riding in a car would be less than ideal. That’s not the case when it comes to the all-new Ford Focus Electric, as it features seat fabric made of recycled material that includes the equivalent of more than 20 plastic bottles per car.
The fiber – called REPREVE® – is made from a hybrid blend of recycled materials and manufactured by Unifi, Inc. (NYSE: UFI), a global leader in sustainable textile solutions.
Unifi officials say 22 plastic, 16-ounce water bottles are used in the seat fabric of a single Focus Electric. The figure is based on the amount of REPREVE branded fiber used in the production of fabric in each vehicle.
Ford is the first automaker to use REPREVE branded fiber in its seat fabric.
“What better vehicle than the Focus Electric to put seat fabric made of recycled materials?” said Carol Kordich, lead designer of Sustainable Materials for Ford. “Not only does the use of this fabric in Focus Electric help reduce waste, it also helps to offset the need to produce new raw material from crude oil – a process that consumes precious energy and natural resources.”
The 2012 Ford Focus Electric is green in other ways, too. Focus Electric runs on battery power alone, requiring no gasoline and producing zero carbon dioxide emissions.
“We are excited to work with Ford for the introduction of REPREVE into the automotive industry,” said Roger Berrier, president and COO of the Greensboro, N.C.-based Unifi. “As REPREVE continues to expand into new applications and markets, consumers are becoming more aware of companies like Ford and Unifi working together to make a positive impact on the environment.”
In 2009 Ford mandated that fabric suppliers use a minimum of 25 percent recycled content for all 2009 and beyond model year vehicles. Since then, 37 different fabrics meeting the requirements have been developed and incorporated into Ford vehicles.
Kordich said Ford is taking it a step further by mandating that fabric be 100 percent sustainable in vehicles with eco-conscious powertrains like Focus Electric.
REPREVE fits the bill, she said, because it is a combination of post-industrial fiber waste and post-consumer waste, like the plastic water bottles made of polyethylene terephthalate plastic. Using REPREVE also reduces energy consumption by offsetting the need to use newly refined crude oil for production.
“It made sense when we were designing the Focus Electric to keep pushing for even more innovative ways to offer our customers the best, most environmentally sound products without sacrificing quality,” said Kordich.
REPREVE meets all Ford performance requirements, said Kordich, and Ford already is considering other uses across its entire car and truck lineup.
Ford’s “Reduce, reuse and recycle” commitment is part of the company’s broader global sustainability strategy to reduce its environmental footprint while at the same time accelerating the development of advanced, fuel-efficient vehicle technologies around the world.
Last month, Ford announced it is using 25 20-ounce plastic bottles to make the carpeting in every all-new Ford Escape utility vehicle it builds. It’s the first time Ford has used this type of carpeting in an SUV.
Over the past several years Ford has concentrated on increasing the use of nonmetal recycled and bio-based materials whenever possible, provided these materials are environmentally favorable in the specific application. Examples include soy foam seat cushions and head restraints, wheat straw-filled plastic, castor oil foam in instrument panels, recycled resins for underbody systems, recycled yarns on seat covers and natural-fiber plastic for interior components.
About Ford Motor Company
Ford Motor Company, a global automotive industry leader based in Dearborn, Mich., manufactures or distributes automobiles across six continents. With about 166,000 employees and about 70 plants worldwide, the company’s automotive brands include Ford and Lincoln. The company provides financial services through Ford Motor Credit Company. For more information regarding Ford’s products, please visit www.ford.com.
Unifi, Inc. (NYSE: UFI) is a diversified producer and processor of multi-filament polyester and nylon textured yarns and related raw materials. The Company adds value to the supply chain and enhances consumer demand for its products through the development and introduction of branded yarns that provide unique performance, comfort and aesthetic advantages. Key Unifi brands include, but are not limited to: AIO® - all-in-one performance yarns, SORBTEK®, A.M.Y.®, MYNX® UV, REPREVE®, REFLEXX®, MICROVISTA® and SATURA®. Unifi's yarns and brands are readily found in home furnishings, apparel, legwear, and sewing thread, as well as industrial, automotive, military, and medical applications. For more information about Unifi, visit www.unifi.com, or to learn more about REPREVE®, visit www.repreve.com.
Download This Release
- Unifi Announces Election of Paul R. Charron as a Director
- REPREVE® Kicks off National, Multi-Stop #TurnItGreen Tour
Tour showcases how recycled plastic bottles can be transformed into REPREVE-based products, with stops at elementary schools, major sporting events, college campuses and retail locations
- Unifi Expands REPREVE Global Availability and Product Offerings
Unifi Textiles (Suzhou) Co., Ltd. (UTSC) will manage new distribution channels out of Suzhou, P.R. China
- The University of North Carolina Football Program Goes Green with REPREVE®
- DETROIT LIONS TEAM UP WITH REPREVE® FOR SECOND YEAR
- Unifi Celebrates Expansion of State-of-the-Art REPREVE® Recycling Center
- REPREVE® Transforms Nearly 60 Million Recycled Plastic Bottles into Graduation Caps and Gowns
- Unifi Expands Polyester Texturing Capacity to Support Regional Growth
- The Detroit Lions and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Athletics Join REPREVE® #TurnItGreen™ Week
- REPREVE® and Marvel Universe LIVE! Kick Off National Youth Recycling Campaign
- The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Joins the REPREVE® #TurnItGreen Campaign
- Unifi Textiles (Suzhou) Co., Ltd. (UTSC) Highlights SORBTEK® Staple
- Quiksilver Expands REPREVE® Product Line
- The Detroit Lions are First NFL Team to Join With REPREVE®
- REPREVE® Recycling Center Expands Due to New Customer Adoptions
- Unifi Purchases Additional Texturing Assets
- Unifi and Palmetto Synthetics, LLC Establish a Manufacturing and Distribution Agreement for REPREVE®: REPREVE® Staple Fiber NAFTA and Berry Amendment Compliant
- SCS Global Services Certifies Unifi’s Repreve® Recycled Polyester Yarn and PET Resins as “Responsible Source” Products
- Unifi’s REPREVE® Brand is First-Time Sponsor of X Games Aspen, Elena Hight Teams Up with REPREVE to Promote a Greener Lifestyle
- America Recycles Day Survey Says: Americans Feel They're Not Doing Enough for the Environment
- Within Its First Year, 14 Million Plastic Bottles Recycled into Haggar Clothing Co.'s LK Life Khaki™ Brand Made with REPREVE®
- Unifi Takes Active Role in Sustaining Manufacturing in the Americas- Congress Passes Correction to Free Trade Legislation
- Polartec®, Norrøna Partner with REPREVE® to Create First-of-its-Kind 100-Percent Recycled Garment
- Lauren Conrad launches her Blue Avocado XO(eco) collection made with REPREVE
- From Waste to Wow! Repreve® Featured in Swimwear from Eco Swim™ by Aqua Green™
- Industry Leaders Come Together to Initiate a Closed Loop Program
- Fusion Customers to Support Eco-Charities, Help Ford through REPREVE Save 2 Million Plastic Bottles from Landfills
- Spring Commencements Go Green Giving New Life to Nearly Seven Million Bottles
- Unifi partners with Greensboro Children's Museum on 'Larger Than Life' Exhibit
- Ford, REPREVE to Recycle 2 Million Plastic Bottles Back into the New 2012 Focus Electric and Other Vehicles
- Ford Chooses REPREVE Branded Fiber for Seat Fabric in 2012 Ford Focus Electric
- Seat Fabric in All-New Ford Focus Electric Uses Waste To Create a Better World
- Unifi Hosts Senator Richard Burr and Congressman Brad Miller
- Unifi Launches the REPREVE® Textile Takeback Program- Polartec to team up with Unifi in a first of its kind recycling program
- SustainU Launches 100 Percent Recycled Clothing Line for Boy Scouts
- Unifi and REPREVE® Award Grants to Four Keep America Beautiful Affiliates
- Valley Forge Fabrics, one of the many brands recognized at Unifi’s REPREVE® Recycling center ribbon cutting
- Unifi Celebrates the Grand Opening of its REPREVE® Recycling Center
- Unifi Celebrates 40th Anniversary with Dedication to Founder Allen Mebane
- Ribbon Cutting Marks the Opening of Unifi Central America
- Unifi Textiles (Suzhou) Co., Ltd. Expands Sustainable Product Line with Introduction of REPREVE® Recycled Fully Drawn Filament Polyester
- Haggar Chooses Unifi’s REPREVE® Recycled Fiber for “Green” Line of Pants
- SunBelt Biofuels Business acquired by REPREVE Renewables
- Unifi Expands Commitment to Sustainability
- REPREVE Helps Designers Design a Better World
- Unifi Celebrates 40th Anniversary of Earth Day through Education
- Rest Assured with Bekaert Textile’s New Collection Made with REPREVE®
- Polartec, LLC and Unifi Announce Partnership
- Unifi Continues to Grow Globally
- Unifi Featured on CNBC’s Sustainability Series -People, Planet & Profit
- REPREVE® and BlueAvocado Join Forces to Educate Consumers on "What's Out, Is In"
- Unifi Chosen for Travel Channel’s “Extreme Mega Factories” Television Segment
- INVISTA’s CORDURA® Brand Team Unveils New Sustainable Fabric
- The REPREVE® Recycled Fiber Family Just Keeps Growing: REPREVE® now available with 100% Post-Consumer PET Bottles
- Sun-Drop Race Team Apparel Goes Green with REPREVE® Recycled Fiber from Unifi
- Unifi Introduces First Recycled Polyester Fiber with Inherent Flame Retardant Technology: Momentum Textiles Selects Unifi's New Repreve® FR for Contract Line
- Unifi Expands the REPREVE® Product Offering with the Introduction of REPREVE® Polyester Staple Fiber: 100% Recycled Polyester Staple Fiber is the Newest Addition to the REPREVE® Family
- Unifi Announces Online Fabric Certification for Branded Products
- Television Series "How It's Made" to Feature Unifi's REPREVE® Yarn in January 2009: First Airing Dates Announced
- The HON Company Introduces REPREVE® Recycled Yarns to its Seating Fabrics: The Use of New 100-Percent Recycled Polyester Yarns Fits Comfortably, and Fashionably, into HON's Ongoing Environmental Journey
- Unifi's 100% Recycled REPREVE® Nylon 6,6 Now Available in China
- Unifi Launches Repreve.com: New Eco-Focused Site Engages Consumers in Recycled Product, Supporting the Environment
- Unifi's REPREVE® 100% Recycled Yarn Now Available in Nylon 6,6: Leading Synthetic Yarn Producer to Launch Recycled Nylon Product at Outdoor Retailer Show
- Unifi's REPREVE® Yarn Selected for the Television Series "How It's Made": First U.S. Textile Mill to Appear on Show