Unifi Celebrates 40th Anniversary with Dedication to Founder Allen Mebane
For Release: 4/27/2011
Yadkinville, NC --YADKINVILLE, N.C. – April 27, 2011 - Unifi, Inc. (NYSE: UFI) held an event on Tuesday, April 26th, that marked the dedication of its Yadkinville, N.C., facility to late founder, G. Allen Mebane IV.
A dedication ceremony at the G. Allen Mebane Industrial Complex in Yadkinville recognized Mebane’s positive impact on Unifi, the textile industry and the community. Speakers included Bill Jasper, Unifi chairman and CEO; Roger Berrier, president and COO and Ken Langone, Unifi board member, former director of the New York Stock Exchange and co-founder of Home Depot. Guided tours of the complex followed the ceremony.
Allen Mebane founded Unifi in 1971, creating one of the world’s leading producers of polyester and nylon yarns. He led the Company for nearly 30 years until he retired in 2000.
“Forty years ago, Allen Mebane envisioned a textile company that would operate under the motto “Quality Through Pride” - a company that would lead by example”, said Bill Jasper, chairman and CEO for Unifi. “Today, Unifi continues to be a world-class textile company known for quality, service and innovation - all corporate priorities established by our founder. In celebration of Unifi’s 40th anniversary, the Company is proud to dedicate the Yadkinville facility in Mr. Mebane’s honor.”
Mebane worked his way up in the textile industry and saw first-hand how education and hard work paid off. His value for education later evolved into the Mebane Charitable Foundation, an organization supporting early childhood education programs, public school system programs and technology initiatives in North Carolina. Since its inception in 1992, the Foundation has granted more than $10 million, and has provided technology and educational programs to more than 6,500 children in Davie County, North Carolina. Thanks to the Foundation, every classroom in the Davie County School System is now equipped with a SMART Board interactive whiteboard. Mebane strongly believed that children are the future and each child should have an opportunity to improve his or her education.
Unifi, Inc. (NYSE: UFI) is a diversified producer and processor of multi-filament polyester and nylon textured yarns and related raw materials. The Company adds value to the supply chain and enhances consumer demand for its products through the development and introduction of branded yarns that provide unique performance, comfort and aesthetic advantages. Key Unifi brands include, but are not limited to: AIO® - all-in-one performance yarns, SORBTEK®, A.M.Y.®, MYNX® UV, REPREVE®, REFLEXX®, MICROVISTA® and SATURA®. Unifi's yarns and brands are readily found in home furnishings, apparel, legwear, and sewing thread, as well as industrial, automotive, military, and medical applications. For more information about Unifi, visit www.Unifi.com, or to learn more about REPREVE®, visit www.Repreve.com.
Download This Release
- Unifi Takes Active Role in Sustaining Manufacturing in the Americas- Congress Passes Correction to Free Trade Legislation
- Fusion Customers to Support Eco-Charities, Help Ford through REPREVE Save 2 Million Plastic Bottles from Landfills
- Spring Commencements Go Green Giving New Life to Nearly Seven Million Bottles
- Unifi partners with Greensboro Children's Museum on 'Larger Than Life' Exhibit
- Ford, REPREVE to Recycle 2 Million Plastic Bottles Back into the New 2012 Focus Electric and Other Vehicles
- Seat Fabric in All-New Ford Focus Electric Uses Waste To Create a Better World
- Unifi Hosts Senator Richard Burr and Congressman Brad Miller
- Unifi Launches the REPREVE® Textile Takeback Program- Polartec to team up with Unifi in a first of its kind recycling program
- Unifi Celebrates the Grand Opening of its REPREVE® Recycling Center
- Unifi Celebrates 40th Anniversary with Dedication to Founder Allen Mebane
- Ribbon Cutting Marks the Opening of Unifi Central America
- Unifi Textiles (Suzhou) Co., Ltd. Expands Sustainable Product Line with Introduction of REPREVE® Recycled Fully Drawn Filament Polyester
- Haggar Chooses Unifi’s REPREVE® Recycled Fiber for “Green” Line of Pants
- SunBelt Biofuels Business acquired by REPREVE Renewables
- Unifi Expands Commitment to Sustainability
- REPREVE Helps Designers Design a Better World
- Unifi Celebrates 40th Anniversary of Earth Day through Education
- Rest Assured with Bekaert Textile’s New Collection Made with REPREVE®
- Polartec, LLC and Unifi Announce Partnership
- Unifi Continues to Grow Globally
- Unifi Featured on CNBC’s Sustainability Series -People, Planet & Profit
- REPREVE® and BlueAvocado Join Forces to Educate Consumers on "What's Out, Is In"
- Unifi Chosen for Travel Channel’s “Extreme Mega Factories” Television Segment
- INVISTA’s CORDURA® Brand Team Unveils New Sustainable Fabric
- The REPREVE® Recycled Fiber Family Just Keeps Growing: REPREVE® now available with 100% Post-Consumer PET Bottles
- Sun-Drop Race Team Apparel Goes Green with REPREVE® Recycled Fiber from Unifi
- Unifi Introduces First Recycled Polyester Fiber with Inherent Flame Retardant Technology: Momentum Textiles Selects Unifi's New Repreve® FR for Contract Line
- Unifi Expands the REPREVE® Product Offering with the Introduction of REPREVE® Polyester Staple Fiber: 100% Recycled Polyester Staple Fiber is the Newest Addition to the REPREVE® Family
- Unifi Announces Online Fabric Certification for Branded Products
- Television Series "How It's Made" to Feature Unifi's REPREVE® Yarn in January 2009: First Airing Dates Announced
- The HON Company Introduces REPREVE® Recycled Yarns to its Seating Fabrics: The Use of New 100-Percent Recycled Polyester Yarns Fits Comfortably, and Fashionably, into HON's Ongoing Environmental Journey
- Unifi's 100% Recycled REPREVE® Nylon 6,6 Now Available in China
- Unifi Launches Repreve.com: New Eco-Focused Site Engages Consumers in Recycled Product, Supporting the Environment
- Unifi's REPREVE® 100% Recycled Yarn Now Available in Nylon 6,6: Leading Synthetic Yarn Producer to Launch Recycled Nylon Product at Outdoor Retailer Show
- Unifi's REPREVE® Yarn Selected for the Television Series "How It's Made": First U.S. Textile Mill to Appear on Show