Unifi Celebrates the Grand Opening of its REPREVE® Recycling Center
For Release: 5/4/2011
Yadkinville, NC --YADKINVILLE, N.C. – May 4, 2011 – Unifi, Inc. (NYSE: UFI) celebrated the official opening of its REPREVE® Recycling Center on Wednesday, May 4th. This $8 million investment will allow the company to expand production capacities of its REPREVE recycled fiber.
REPREVE is a family of first quality recycled polyester and nylon fibers that can be used in a wide range of applications, including apparel, automotive, seating and paneling fabrics. Since its introduction in 2006, REPREVE has grown from a single recycled polyester fiber into an entire brand of sustainable products. In the last two years alone, over 247 million post-consumer PET bottles have been recycled into REPREVE. Unifi estimates to recycle over 400 million bottles into REPREVE in 2012 in its REPREVE Recycling Center.
The 50,000 square foot, state-of-the-art REPREVE Recycling Center enables Unifi to recycle post-industrial and post-consumer polyester waste, and in the future, fabrics and garments. The goal of the facility is to expand production capacities and capabilities, improve fiber color and drive volume growth for improved economics.
“The opening of the REPREVE Recycling Center solidifies Unifi’s commitment to be the world’s leader in the production of sustainable fibers,” said Roger Berrier, president and COO of Unifi. “The REPREVE Recycling Center was built using the latest state-of-the-art recycling technology providing us with flexibility to further expand the REPREVE brand in new and innovative directions.”
The event took place at the G. Allen Mebane Industrial Complex in Yadkinville, and featured a ribbon cutting ceremony, tours and a program of speakers including Bill Jasper, chairman and CEO; Roger Berrier; John Mowbray, editor and publisher of EcoTextile News; Gail Strickler, Assistant United States Trade Representative for Textiles; and Kim Glas, Deputy Assistant Secretary for Textiles and Apparel and Chairman, CITA.
The Recycling Center has been constructed to convert waste materials into REPREVE and the building itself was built with environmental benefits in mind. Sustainable features include:
• 67 skylights to take advantage of natural sunlight
• Light fixtures controlled by sensor technology to reduce energy use
• Low flow fixtures and motion sensors anticipated to reduce water use by 34%
• Many building materials were bought regionally and comprised of recycled content
• Energy Recovery Kit that captures and re-utilizes heat in the production of REPREVE chip
“The new REPREVE Recycling Center will grow employment in Yadkin County, adding at least 25 new jobs when fully implemented,” added Berrier.
Unifi, Inc. (NYSE: UFI) is a diversified producer and processor of multi-filament polyester and nylon textured yarns and related raw materials. The Company adds value to the supply chain and enhances consumer demand for its products through the development and introduction of branded yarns that provide unique performance, comfort and aesthetic advantages. Key Unifi brands include, but are not limited to: AIO® - all-in-one performance yarns, SORBTEK®, A.M.Y.®, MYNX® UV, REPREVE®, REFLEXX®, MICROVISTA® and SATURA®. Unifi's yarns and brands are readily found in home furnishings, apparel, legwear, and sewing thread, as well as industrial, automotive, military, and medical applications. For more information about Unifi, visit www.Unifi.com, or to learn more about REPREVE®, visit www.Repreve.com.
Download This Release
- Unifi Takes Active Role in Sustaining Manufacturing in the Americas- Congress Passes Correction to Free Trade Legislation
- Fusion Customers to Support Eco-Charities, Help Ford through REPREVE Save 2 Million Plastic Bottles from Landfills
- Spring Commencements Go Green Giving New Life to Nearly Seven Million Bottles
- Unifi partners with Greensboro Children's Museum on 'Larger Than Life' Exhibit
- Ford, REPREVE to Recycle 2 Million Plastic Bottles Back into the New 2012 Focus Electric and Other Vehicles
- Seat Fabric in All-New Ford Focus Electric Uses Waste To Create a Better World
- Unifi Hosts Senator Richard Burr and Congressman Brad Miller
- Unifi Launches the REPREVE® Textile Takeback Program- Polartec to team up with Unifi in a first of its kind recycling program
- Unifi Celebrates the Grand Opening of its REPREVE® Recycling Center
- Unifi Celebrates 40th Anniversary with Dedication to Founder Allen Mebane
- Ribbon Cutting Marks the Opening of Unifi Central America
- Unifi Textiles (Suzhou) Co., Ltd. Expands Sustainable Product Line with Introduction of REPREVE® Recycled Fully Drawn Filament Polyester
- Haggar Chooses Unifi’s REPREVE® Recycled Fiber for “Green” Line of Pants
- SunBelt Biofuels Business acquired by REPREVE Renewables
- Unifi Expands Commitment to Sustainability
- REPREVE Helps Designers Design a Better World
- Unifi Celebrates 40th Anniversary of Earth Day through Education
- Rest Assured with Bekaert Textile’s New Collection Made with REPREVE®
- Polartec, LLC and Unifi Announce Partnership
- Unifi Continues to Grow Globally
- Unifi Featured on CNBC’s Sustainability Series -People, Planet & Profit
- REPREVE® and BlueAvocado Join Forces to Educate Consumers on "What's Out, Is In"
- Unifi Chosen for Travel Channel’s “Extreme Mega Factories” Television Segment
- INVISTA’s CORDURA® Brand Team Unveils New Sustainable Fabric
- The REPREVE® Recycled Fiber Family Just Keeps Growing: REPREVE® now available with 100% Post-Consumer PET Bottles
- Sun-Drop Race Team Apparel Goes Green with REPREVE® Recycled Fiber from Unifi
- Unifi Introduces First Recycled Polyester Fiber with Inherent Flame Retardant Technology: Momentum Textiles Selects Unifi's New Repreve® FR for Contract Line
- Unifi Expands the REPREVE® Product Offering with the Introduction of REPREVE® Polyester Staple Fiber: 100% Recycled Polyester Staple Fiber is the Newest Addition to the REPREVE® Family
- Unifi Announces Online Fabric Certification for Branded Products
- Television Series "How It's Made" to Feature Unifi's REPREVE® Yarn in January 2009: First Airing Dates Announced
- The HON Company Introduces REPREVE® Recycled Yarns to its Seating Fabrics: The Use of New 100-Percent Recycled Polyester Yarns Fits Comfortably, and Fashionably, into HON's Ongoing Environmental Journey
- Unifi's 100% Recycled REPREVE® Nylon 6,6 Now Available in China
- Unifi Launches Repreve.com: New Eco-Focused Site Engages Consumers in Recycled Product, Supporting the Environment
- Unifi's REPREVE® 100% Recycled Yarn Now Available in Nylon 6,6: Leading Synthetic Yarn Producer to Launch Recycled Nylon Product at Outdoor Retailer Show
- Unifi's REPREVE® Yarn Selected for the Television Series "How It's Made": First U.S. Textile Mill to Appear on Show