REPREVE® and BlueAvocado Join Forces to Educate Consumers on "What's Out, Is In"
For Release: 11/17/2009
GREENSBORO, NC --This year alone, U.S. landfills will be inundated with more than 21 billion plastic (PET) water bottles¹ and 78 billion plastic bags² . Two green-minded companies Unifi, Inc. (NYSE: UFI), the makers of REPREVE® recycled fibers, and BlueAvocado have teamed up to achieve a common goal: reduce their environmental footprints by diverting materials from ending up in the landfill.
BlueAvocado’s new reusable gro-pak™ shopping system is designed to replace 15 environmentally harmful plastic bags per shopping trip and it features five separate component bags made using REPREVE recycled fibers. The system is durable, compact and stylish, and offers a solution for every shopping need - collapsibility for sto-n-go convenience, insulation for hot or cold items, and ventilation for fruits and veggies.
Not all reusable bags are created equal, and what’s in the bag is as important as the bag itself. BlueAvocado’s reusable grocery bag system is made with Unifi’s REPREVE, a family of 100% recycled fibers that are made from waste and post-consumer plastic (PET) bottles. And because REPREVE is made from recycled materials, it conserves the earth’s precious natural resources.
“Our goal was to provide eco-conscious, time-starved shoppers with a reusable and recycled grocery bag system that’s focused on style, convenience and value,” said BlueAvocado’s Chief Innovation Officer Melissa Nathan. “The gro-pak system can eliminate 1,000 plastic bags per shopper per year, so the impact of one consumer can affect the lives of many. We believe we’re helping consumers change the way they shop – for good.”
The partnership of REPREVE and BlueAvocado creates a green synergy, and promotes the three pillars of sustainability:
• Reduce - minimize the harmful waste created by plastic bags and plastic bottles
• Reuse - the versatility and durability of the BlueAvocado gro-pak means years of multiple uses
• Recycle - extracting useful materials, like plastic PET bottles from curbside recycling, into recycled products like those made with REPREVE recycled fiber
“BlueAvocado provides consumers with a more environmentally friendly choice and is unique because it’s reusable and made from recycled materials,” said Bett Faircloth, Unifi’s marketing manager. “What’s out of the landfill is literally in the bag, and with REPREVE’s U Trust™ verification program, consumers can have confidence in what they’re getting.”
Since the average shopper uses 1,000 plastic bags per year, BlueAvocado is also inviting consumers to kick their plastic habit and join their Billion Bag Pledge. Consumers can pledge online at www.blueavocado.com/billion to avoid 5, 10 or 20 plastic bags per week. BlueAvocado products are available in 400 stores and online retailers nationwide. Sur La Table is the first national retailer to introduce the REPREVE line, launching in 75 stores this November.
¹ Based on 28 billion plastic (PET) water bottles purchased annually and a 23% recycle rate. (Source: Earth911.com)
² Based on 78 billion plastic bags used annually and a 12% recycle rate. (Source: Earth911.com)
Unifi, Inc. (NYSE: UFI) is a diversified producer and processor of multi-filament polyester and nylon textured yarns and related raw materials. The Company adds value to the supply chain and enhances consumer demand for its products through the development and introduction of branded yarns that provide unique performance, comfort and aesthetic advantages. Key Unifi brands include, but are not limited to: AIO® - all-in-one performance yarns, SORBTEK®, A.M.Y.®, MYNX® UV, REPREVE®, REFLEXX®, MICROVISTA® and SATURA®. Unifi's yarns and brands are readily found in home furnishings, apparel, legwear, and sewing thread, as well as industrial, automotive, military, and medical applications. For more information about Unifi, visit www.Unifi.com, or to learn more about REPREVE®, visit www.Repreve.com.
Download This Release
- Unifi Takes Active Role in Sustaining Manufacturing in the Americas- Congress Passes Correction to Free Trade Legislation
- Fusion Customers to Support Eco-Charities, Help Ford through REPREVE Save 2 Million Plastic Bottles from Landfills
- Spring Commencements Go Green Giving New Life to Nearly Seven Million Bottles
- Unifi partners with Greensboro Children's Museum on 'Larger Than Life' Exhibit
- Ford, REPREVE to Recycle 2 Million Plastic Bottles Back into the New 2012 Focus Electric and Other Vehicles
- Seat Fabric in All-New Ford Focus Electric Uses Waste To Create a Better World
- Unifi Hosts Senator Richard Burr and Congressman Brad Miller
- Unifi Launches the REPREVE® Textile Takeback Program- Polartec to team up with Unifi in a first of its kind recycling program
- Unifi Celebrates the Grand Opening of its REPREVE® Recycling Center
- Unifi Celebrates 40th Anniversary with Dedication to Founder Allen Mebane
- Ribbon Cutting Marks the Opening of Unifi Central America
- Unifi Textiles (Suzhou) Co., Ltd. Expands Sustainable Product Line with Introduction of REPREVE® Recycled Fully Drawn Filament Polyester
- Haggar Chooses Unifi’s REPREVE® Recycled Fiber for “Green” Line of Pants
- SunBelt Biofuels Business acquired by REPREVE Renewables
- Unifi Expands Commitment to Sustainability
- REPREVE Helps Designers Design a Better World
- Unifi Celebrates 40th Anniversary of Earth Day through Education
- Rest Assured with Bekaert Textile’s New Collection Made with REPREVE®
- Polartec, LLC and Unifi Announce Partnership
- Unifi Continues to Grow Globally
- Unifi Featured on CNBC’s Sustainability Series -People, Planet & Profit
- REPREVE® and BlueAvocado Join Forces to Educate Consumers on "What's Out, Is In"
- Unifi Chosen for Travel Channel’s “Extreme Mega Factories” Television Segment
- INVISTA’s CORDURA® Brand Team Unveils New Sustainable Fabric
- The REPREVE® Recycled Fiber Family Just Keeps Growing: REPREVE® now available with 100% Post-Consumer PET Bottles
- Sun-Drop Race Team Apparel Goes Green with REPREVE® Recycled Fiber from Unifi
- Unifi Introduces First Recycled Polyester Fiber with Inherent Flame Retardant Technology: Momentum Textiles Selects Unifi's New Repreve® FR for Contract Line
- Unifi Expands the REPREVE® Product Offering with the Introduction of REPREVE® Polyester Staple Fiber: 100% Recycled Polyester Staple Fiber is the Newest Addition to the REPREVE® Family
- Unifi Announces Online Fabric Certification for Branded Products
- Television Series "How It's Made" to Feature Unifi's REPREVE® Yarn in January 2009: First Airing Dates Announced
- The HON Company Introduces REPREVE® Recycled Yarns to its Seating Fabrics: The Use of New 100-Percent Recycled Polyester Yarns Fits Comfortably, and Fashionably, into HON's Ongoing Environmental Journey
- Unifi's 100% Recycled REPREVE® Nylon 6,6 Now Available in China
- Unifi Launches Repreve.com: New Eco-Focused Site Engages Consumers in Recycled Product, Supporting the Environment
- Unifi's REPREVE® 100% Recycled Yarn Now Available in Nylon 6,6: Leading Synthetic Yarn Producer to Launch Recycled Nylon Product at Outdoor Retailer Show
- Unifi's REPREVE® Yarn Selected for the Television Series "How It's Made": First U.S. Textile Mill to Appear on Show